Fault Magazine Interview

« Older   Newer »
Hurts`
view post Posted on 22/11/2010, 02:42

L'avevo trovata oggi e me l'ero salvata, ma non sono riuscita a postarla e ora la fonte è magicamente sparita. ._.

CITAZIONE
FAULT Magazine caught up with Theo and Adam (HURTS) for the latest issue of FAULT.

FAULT: How did you both meet and start making music together?

Theo: Well we met about three or four years ago outside a nightclub in Manchester and it was a nightclub that depending on who you are is either the best or the worst in the world.

FAULT: What do you think the nightclub is?

Adam: The Cheapest!

Theo: It’s not very good. We were outside the nightclub and my friends were having a fight with a load of other people which were Adam’s friends and we didn’t know each other and we’re just stood there and in that situation you think should we just hit each other for no reason because everybody else is or do you just talk and be pacifists? So we talked and it just so happened that the other had something that the other one needed but for a while because of the situation it might not be a good idea for us to meet up until we found some common ground musically because our friends didn’t like each other, so we did that and it all worked out.

Adam: Three years later we became friends.

Theo: Eventually.

Adam: It was professionalism over friendship, which was good because it meant we were constructive. If you work with your mates you just get lazy, the nature of a duo is that you have to be different very different because if you’ve got two people that are the same you might as well have one person.

Theo: You put your differences into productive use as apposed to fighting about them, for us Hurts is that, we would make very different music if we did it separately. I always think that being a duo is the purest form to make music because it’s black and white and you can see it, in the music you can see the two personalities. One person is interesting but with two you’ve got a conflict.

FAULT: Do you tend to ague a lot?

Theo: I mean we have to, to make the music I think it needs it but now we’ve gone way beyond it and we just haven’t got the time.

FAULT: All aspects of Hurts are very important to you including music videos, production etc have you always felt involved in every aspect as you are now?

Theo: Well I can’t understand when people don’t get involved, when you’ve got an idea of a band and know what you want to be, all our favourite bands are everything all at once and hat’s what you buy into and that’s what you want as a fan but the context is very important for our music and for the visual side of it because it’s part of who we are, they need each other to offset one another. Because it’s big hopeful Pop music it needs to be positioned properly for it to fully represent what we are.

Adam: I think you have to try and make yourself believable to people and by making sure all areas are pretty tight it promotes imagination in people so it’s not just the music it’s something more than that and I think that’s how you get devoted fans who are willing to invest in everything that you do.

Theo: Yeah because we’re not that good at making videos it’s not what we do but we try and make them ourselves so that it comes from us and it’s honest and I think we bare your self to everybody. It’s exciting but it also helps us write music, if you create a world around you it informs what type of music you write because you exist in a visual sense and you understand what you’re doing it for. When we started the idea of how we dressed was to keep it so simple and for the music to speak for itself, almost like the image was secondary but it’s been interpreted slightly differently that what we first anticipated. It was more about substance over style we wanted the music to do the talking.

Adam: We’ve been on the dole for years and this is the only way we can leave…

Theo: The dole office without throwing ourselves under a bus… (laughs). If you’ve been on a six hour mega bus from Manchester to London for a ten o’clock meeting with the boss of Sony you want to get off the bus feeling rubbish you want to get off in a suit and go right now I’m ready to meet somebody, rather than going… I’ve been on a mega bus since three am I can’t meet anybody.

Adam: Before we got a record deal and we had no money I always did my best for these meetings, I always think I turned myself out but my weakness was my bag… I had a carrier bag, but I used to cover it with my coat and nobody used to notice it.

FAULT: What were you doing while you were both on the dole?

Theo: We very much worked the sane way we work now but for £45 a week, we’d start work at nine in the morning and we wouldn’t go out and we treated it like a job, we did have depressing moments when we couldn’t even face being on the dole.

Adam: Well I got kicked off, I don’t know about you… I was on too long.

Theo: when you tell them that you want to be a tennis pro, but I used to tell them that I wanted to be a scientist because I did and they used to say there’s no science jobs at the job centre but we can get you a cleaner in a youth centre.

Adam: They don’t cater for personal ambition; I said I wanted to be a talk show host and they said they can’t do anything about that so I said well I keep getting my money then.

Theo: We both genuinely wanted jobs and used to go to interviews even though our music was a full time job. Whether it was working in Sainsbury’s with an orange cardigan on for
about two weeks before you have to leave, I’d wear a different name tag so nobody new it was me ‘Justin’ in the orange cardigan

FAULT: Are you working on any other endeavours at the moment?

Theo: Possibly.

Adam: I want to be a sportsman, it’s always in the back of my mind and as I get a bit further into my twenties it gets more and more distant.

Theo: Soccer aid…

Adam: Yeah, and celebrity five aside tournaments, that’s the reason why I’m in this!

FAULT: Was the music video you shot with WIZ and collaboration?

Theo: Yeah WIZ is amazing, it was an idea that we had, it’s a wonderful life and the other ones we did we kind of stood behind the camera pressed the button ran round the front and we just used to do that, it was great but we wanted to progress you can do it yourself to an extent but think to your self how can Hurts grow.

FAULT: What is your FAULT?

Theo: I don’t have a hobby; I’m desperate to find one.

Adam: Mine would be extreme negativity (Theo laughs). I’m so far beyond a realist and I think sometimes it trips me up.

Theo: I think I’m the complete opposite to Adam, I’m way beyond a fantasist.

FONTE: faultmagazine.com

~ Sabry •
view post Posted on 22/11/2010, 08:40

CITAZIONE
FAULT: What do you think the nightclub is?

Adam: The Cheapest!

ragazzi/e, in un prossimo futuro ci sta un pellegrinaggio lì :flower:

CITAZIONE
I always think that being a duo is the purest form to make music because it’s black and white and you can see it, in the music you can see the two personalities.

:wub:

CITAZIONE
Theo: We both genuinely wanted jobs and used to go to interviews even though our music was a full time job. Whether it was working in Sainsbury’s with an orange cardigan on for
about two weeks before you have to leave, I’d wear a different name tag so nobody new it was me ‘Justin’ in the orange cardigan

LOL :D

CITAZIONE
FAULT: What is your FAULT?

Theo: I don’t have a hobby; I’m desperate to find one.

Adam: Mine would be extreme negativity (Theo laughs). I’m so far beyond a realist and I think sometimes it trips me up.

Theo: I think I’m the complete opposite to Adam, I’m way beyond a fantasist.

beh non direi dell' "essere realista" una colpa.. mah.. :)

blackdays
view post Posted on 22/11/2010, 12:20

CITAZIONE

Ok, adesso so di non essere sola al mondo a sentirsi così. grazie adam.

2 replies since 22/11/2010, 02:42   163 views